Strengthening Local Government
A stronger system of local government
The NSW Government is committed to building a stronger system of local government in NSW, with councils that are sustainable, well-managed and ready to play an active role in helping communities grow. We have been working with local councils since 2011 to achieve this shared vision.
Now it is time to take the next steps towards change, with a record investment to help each council become Fit for the Future.
The local government reform package is based on the Independent Local Government Review Panel’s recommendations and reflects the priorities identified by the sector during the consultation process. It includes:
- New streamlined legislation for local government
- Reductions in regulation and red tape
- Greater transparency and performance improvements
- Access to cheaper finance for community infrastructure
- New Joint Organisations to support regional growth
- More help for smaller rural councils
- Support for structural change in Sydney and regional councils.
To receive regular updates about the progress of the reforms, subscribe to our newsletter.